Relationship Property

Providing trusted legal advice for more than 130 years.

Relationship Property Law Solicitors

At Carlile Dowling, our experienced team can help you in all aspects of relationship property law in New Zealand. We provide personalised, practical advice with a focus on working professionally with all parties involved. Whether you are entering or exiting a relationship, our team can provide advice about structuring your personal, trust and business affairs.

Experts in this area

How We Can Help

You can make agreements about the status, ownership and division of relationship property and assets at any time during your relationship. You can also make agreements about dividing property and shared assets when the relationship ends.

Who is Covered by the Property (Relationships) Act 1976

Whether the rules of the Act apply to you and your ex-partner depends on the type of relationship it was and how long you were together. Couples who’ve been together three years or more are covered by the equal sharing rules, meaning the family home, car, furniture and appliances will usually be shared equally.

Married and civil union couples who’ve been together less than three years are covered by the Act. However, for a relationship of a short duration (less than three years) assets may be divided according to each person’s contributions to the relationship in some cases rather than being shared equally. De facto couples who’ve been together for less than three years usually aren’t covered by the Act, meaning ordinary rules of property ownership will decide what each person is entitled to.

We can help you in a variety of areas, including:

● Relationship property agreements (contracting out agreements)

● Separation agreements and division of assets

● Resolving relationship disputes

● Negotiating the terms of the contracting out agreement

● Explaining your rights and entitlements

● Providing independent advice on contracting out agreements

If you are confused about how long after separation can you claim property, property separation in divorce or other relationship property entitlements under the Property (Relationships) Act 1976, we can help you.

Contact Our Property Law Solicitors Today

If you need help managing your property and other assets at the beginning or end of a relationship, consult the experts at Carlile Dowling. Our team has provided trusted legal advice for more than 130 years regarding relationship property as well as family law, immigration, employment law, commercial property law and more.

Get in touch today by calling 06 835 7394 or contact us online.